LITTLE BLACK PEARL ART AND DESIGN ACADEMY
SCIENCE INSTRUCTOR OPENING
The focus of our school is to provide transformational education utilizing fine arts, design and technology to achieve success within the academic curriculum and post-secondary education. We are partnering with CPS’s school network to provide students with a high-quality education with a focus in the Arts. The administration of Little Black Pearl Art and Design Academy (LBPA) would like to reach and support the younger high school student or the student who is just entering high school. At LBPA we apply the theme of creative invention throughout the entire school to challenge our youth to contribute to community, be critical thinkers, evaluate belief systems, and be leaders in a global society.
Open Position: Fulltime Science Instructor (Biology, Chemistry, Physics).
Additional endorsements a plus.
INSTRUCTOR ROLE OVERVIEW
Little Black Pearl Art and Design Academy support the academic and character development of our students by providing high quality instruction. Informed by the school's mission, teachers will ensure that all students learn the content and skills required for academic success as defined by curricular and instructional objectives and overarching school goals. Instructors will teach appropriate content and skills by utilizing curriculum material adopted by the school, as well as providing appropriate supplemental and teacher-made materials; develop appropriate lesson plans that accommodate the range of learning styles and specialized needs of students in the classroom; create a learning environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement, and self-motivation; and, actively participate with colleagues in school improvement activities, curriculum development, instructional planning, assessment development and student support meetings. LBPA Instructors will be responsible for driving results and supporting student achievement in both academic and non-academic areas.
All LBPA Lab Teachers must:
· Support the mission and vision of our organization and school
· Understand that fine arts are to be implemented into all areas of the curriculum, participate in FAI professional development and actively incorporate ideas into lesson plans
· Be passionate about teaching students in urban areas
· Set high goals for our students and themselves
· Work tirelessly to attain these high goals
· Have strong knowledge and skills in their content area and in the art of teaching
· Be strong analytical and critical thinkers, willing to engage in debate and discourse
· Be ready to be part of a collaborative team
· Be open to receiving coaching and support
· Demonstrate initiative, persistence and resiliency
· Be results oriented
· Be reflective listeners
· Actively collaborate with critical stakeholder for the students
· Commitment to Equity: Passionate about ensuring that every child, regardless of background or circumstance, receives an excellent education.
· Use student performance data derived from teacher-created and standardized assessments to drive instructional decision-making
· Develop positive relationships with students, be willing to participate and lead non-instructional activities
· Exhibit professional responsibility for daily work and attendance, personal appearance, student learning, and school success
Important Note: Promising candidates who are moved forward in the selection process will be asked to provide a lesson/unit plan that they have taught and be prepared to discuss the plan/unit. Please be sure to be prepared, if asked to do so by the selection committee.
Education and Knowledge:
A Bachelor's degree and appropriate Illinois State Board of Education certifications for specified teaching assignment are required. A minimum of 3 years of teaching experience is preferred but not required. Applicants should demonstrate a belief in the value of arts education. Strength of academic background, professional experience particularly in urban communities, interview performance, and references will be considered during the selection process.
Please forward all resumes to: