CARVER 47 CAFE
Carver 47 Juice and Experiment Bar is an extension of Little Black Pearl (LBP) Art and Design Center. As the retail operation of LBP the goal is to cultivate our students and youth to embrace and extend the spirit of Dr. George Washington Carver into our community through service, responsibility, and accountability. Carver 47 is a café serving coffee, teas, fresh juices, smoothies and a variety of healthy food and beverage options.
The store manager is responsible for collaborating with upper management to drive the mission, vision, and values of Little Black Pearl and manage an efficient and profitable operation of Carver 47 Juice & Experiment Bar. He/she is responsible for development and implementation of organization standards in sales, staffing, product quality, visual merchandising, and operations. The store manager embodies and drives the culture of Carver 47 by providing guests with excellent, quality products and fast, friendly service. The manager consistently demonstrates a commitment to our Guiding Principles and House Rules. The manager is responsible for all aspects of the café operation including inventory management, training, customer relations, marketing, resource, personnel, vendor management, facility and equipment maintenance, and compliance to processes.
· Manages a profitable store, reviewing controllable expenses, and monitoring payroll costs.
· Strategically drives sales volume growth and creates a positive customer experience. Including event planning, new product ideas etc.
· Plans and executes sales promotions and maintaining a positive community image.
· Ensures that the store has sufficient product, merchandise, and supplies needed to manage an efficient store using inventory tracking.
· Performs opening and closing duties.
· Delegate duties, as necessary, to assistant manager, team leads and baristas.
· Performs financial documentation and register readings during shift.
· Ensures that the store, backroom, and equipment are maintained in a safe and clean manner.
· Provides team members training and continuous feedback to encourage and reinforce growth and personal development.
· Conducts pre-employment interviews designed to minimize team member turnover and to ensure proper staffing levels are maintained.
· Processes all payroll information in an accurate and timely manner.
· Creates a weekly schedule according to labor guidelines to ensure proper coverage while considering any increases in sales due to holidays, local and/ or LBP events.
· Ensures that cash handling procedures set by LBP finance are maintained and followed consistently including following proper shortage standards, accurate record keeping, and tax exemption process, vendor orders, reporting of deposits and safe procedures to accountant.
· Responds to any and all emergencies while on shift by directing or performing steps necessary to ensure medical treatment and/or escape routes are available.
· Records and reports to Project Manager/ Finance/ HR any operational inconsistencies, employee incidents, accidents, potential safety hazards, or any unusual or pertinent events.
· Reports employee accidents and potential safety hazards to Project Manager/ Finance/ HR manager immediately; completes appropriate paperwork.
· Will be required to work events and activities outside of Carver 47 hours
· Perform other duties as assigned
· Is the Role Model for outstanding service and “owner” of the service initiative at his/her store.
· Pro-active in solving customer problems and satisfying customers in various situations.
· Ensures that all team members are committed to and demonstrate our Guiding Principles and Carver 47 House Rules.
· Ensures that all team members provide customers with efficient and friendly, superior service on a consistent basis.
· Consistently monitors, coaches and encourages team members to meet the café’s service standards.
· Maintains high cleanliness standards consistently throughout the store in the areas of store appearance, merchandise and equipment.
· Responds proactively to prevent and resolve customer service situations.
· Drives accountability for crew maintaining proper personal appearance/ hygiene.
· Develop and maintain the highest quality standard for all C47 products
· Drive operational efficiency and production.
· Ensure that all team members are educated on our products and services, by developing an understanding of our various types of coffee, tea products, blends and roasts, as well as knowledge of coffee and tea regions, and the various differences in flavor and blends. Same goes for our juice bar and food offerings.
· Educate our customers on the superior quality of Carver 47 products and services. Understands the ingredients of each product offered at C47, and encourages patrons to try something new (expand their palate).
· Upholds all department of health food service sanitation rules.
· Reinforces need to caution allergic reactions depending on product ingredients.
· Follows all company drink recipes and procedures.
· Oversees drink making and participates in the re-certification process monthly.
· Is proficient in preparing all drinks and ensures that all team members prepare drinks according to The Carver 47 Juice & Experiment Bar recipe standard operating procedures.
· Tastes drink and food products on a per shift basis for quality assurance.
· Oversees maintenance of the garden area(s) and all other aspects of the café operation.
Training & Development:
· Executes effective recruiting programs with the project manager to ensure high team member retention.
· Counsels team members, facilitates team member training efforts, conducts regular performance reviews, and reinforces expectations and disciplines team members, as necessary.
· Ensures that all new hires are properly trained and have correct uniform.
· Reinforce and drive crew accountability for adhering to Carver 47 Guiding Principles and values.
· Motivates staff to maintain product quality and café image.
· Minimum high school diploma or equivalent. Prefer some college, bachelor’s degree.
· Prior experience managing a team in a retail or corporate environment.
· Minimum two-year business experience, preferably with a specialty café/coffee environment/ food establishment or management in a corporate setting.
· Register and cash handling experience.
· Proficient on a computer; familiar with software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook.
· Ability to run and translate financial and inventory reports.
· Comfortable driving marketing using social media/ other platforms
· Must be able to work overtime, including weekends, evenings and special events as needed.
· Well-organized, detail-oriented and able to multi-task.
· Must have effective problem solving/decision making abilities.
· This position will require frequent standing and use of hands and arms.
· Must be able to lift up to 30lbs and frequently bend and twist from the waist.
· Frequently required to use hand and finger motions, handle or feel objects, reach with hands and arms.
· Must be able to adjust vision to both day and night lighting, and be able to focus on distant and close-range projects. Regularly required to handle food, hot beverages, and work with sharp objects.
· Must have excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
· Must satisfactorily complete Serv-safe training within initial 30 days after hire.
· Must be able to satisfactorily pass background check.
· Must have valid State of Illinois driver’s license and vehicle insurance.
Please forward all resumes to: